Thursday, July 4, 2013

Is Debt the new Culture?

      


Today I was having a lovely lunch with some work friends and the subject came up about buying a new car and apparently the new culture and attitude toward debt is -”It doesn’t matter, its just more debt”. I don’t know about you, but this really shocked me and made me think ‘oh that's sad’.

I don’t want to live with debt piling up so high that I can no longer breathe freely because I have so much weight on my shoulders about making repayments for stuff I don’t need.


 or
 
Just because you may have paid out your car loan and now have an extra $200 per week available, doesn’t mean it should be spent on a new thing.. Wouldn’t it be wiser to put that money into a more meaningful project… A family holiday overseas, children's education fund, retirement, reducing your hours of work each week so you can actually be with your family instead of at work…
I was told recently that homelessness is a very serious problem around Australia and many other countries – more than we realise.. Most families are only 4 paychecks away from this happening to them.. That's not a lot.. Scary in fact.

Using any extra money to make an emergency fund for a rainy day would certainly put my mind at ease more than a new car or thing would ..
I know this isn’t my usual kind of topic, but in my journey to living a more minimalist life , debt is a very important subject associated with being happy on less.
Stuff doesn’t make human beings happy… Pure happiness from within makes us happy.

Do you agree?

No comments:

Post a Comment